September 28th is your opportunity to see the DV in person.
We are very proud that The Dusty Victorian is currently being considered for heritage designation, insuring that her unique and original details will be protected for future generations to enjoy.
When one applies for an heritage designation, the property undergoes extensive research to evaluate its cultural and architectural value. Here is just a small portion of information associated with The DV's past and her previous inhabitants.
Statement of Cultural Heritage Value:
The house at 137 Water Street North (East Side Water Street North, Lot 12) is a two-storey white brick villa, built in 1889 for John Bartlett, a local businessman. Beautifully situated on a hillside in the north ward with principal windows facing west and south, it has a grand view down Water Street and across the Thames River valley. A veranda enclosing the main entrance and wrapping around the west and south sides and a large, two-storey, west-facing bay with an impressive gable are attractive and immediately noticeable features of the façade.
Below is the earliest known photographof the DV.
This house is an excellent example of a number of St. Marys residences constructed for prosperous clients in the final years of the 19th century in a style perfected by local architect William Williams. Although the house bears many similarities to other structures with documented evidence that they were designed by Williams, there is no proof that he was directly responsible for this Water Street house. At the very least, its builder used many of Williams’ features as a model. These include the gable with bargeboard, the double brackets descending to the chi-cross at bottom, and the double windows on both levels of the bay, the two halves separated by elongated brackets.
|Mr. and Mrs, John Bartlett|
The house was built in 1889 for John Bartlett, a prosperous local merchant who, as he neared retirement from his bakery/grocery business, invested in a block of property on Water Street North, including Lot 12. He lived only briefly at this address, using it primarily for rental income.
|Undated - View of Water Street North from across the River Thames|
|Undated - Closer view of Water Street North and perhaps a decade later by the trees now hiding half of the house.|
Perhaps his best known tenant ca. 1900 was James Maxwell, one of the partners in D. Maxwell & Sons, major manufacturers of farm implements and many smaller household items.
|Circa 1940 - I always thought that the second story balcony was original to the house, but it was almost certainly added on by the Harstone family.|
In 1915, the property was purchased by Leonard and Beatrice Harstone. Leonard was an established lawyer and also town clerk. He died in 1932 but his son Robert, also a lawyer, lived there with his mother until her death in 1957.
|Beatrice Harstone, wife of lawyer Leonard Harstone.|
|Believed to be Robert Harstone, aged three, son of Leonard and Beatrice.|
Image from Olive Tree Genealogy blog
Robert Harstone, mayor of St. Marys in 1933-1934, died in 1974. Subsequent owners have maintained or restored many original features.
|As it appeared in april of 1996, without the second story balcony.|
|As it appeared in april of 2008 when we purchased the DV.|
|This is the latest shot of the DV, August 2013. A work in progress.|
Thank you to the St Marys Museum and the St Marys Heritage Committee for the use of the historical photographs and extensive research done on our home.
|Ken Telfer, Trisha McKibbin, Larry Pfaff and moi|
|Mary Smith and Brian discussing historial affairs in the library|
But come by on September 28th. We're looking forward to seeing you.
Click on this link to know more about St Marys' Doors Open 2013